Easy Shortbread Cookies – Marshmallow Shortbread Squares
A new way to enjoy the simple pleasures of crunchy shortbread and the sweet softness of fresh, homemade – yes, homemade! – marshmallows. Both the shortbread and marshmallow are made separately, but are then married together as the marshmallow is put on top of the shortbread base.
Easy Shortbread Cookies – Ingredients
Makes 36 squares
- 1 1/2 cups White Flour
- 1/3 cup packed Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup Butter
- 3/4 cup Cold Water
- 1 (1 oz) package Unflavored Gelatin
- 3/4 cup White Sugar
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup Icing Sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Easy Shortbread Cookies – Directions
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- In a medium bowl, combine together the flour, brown sugar and butter until the dough is crumbly and well blended. Press the mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 9” x 9” baking pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the shortbread is firm and golden. Set aside to cool.
- Into a medium saucepan, pour in the cold water and sprinkle the gelatin over it. Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in the white sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar and gelatin. When the mixture is clear, remove from the heat and stir in the icing sugar. Set aside until cool.
- When the gelatin mixture has cooled to luke warm, stir in the baking powder and vanilla extract. Beat the mixture at high speed with an electric mixer until the mixture can hold a peak. Pour over the shortbread base and cool until the gloss disappears. Cut into 36 squares and enjoy!
Easy Shortbread Cookies – Tips
You can play with the flavor of the marshmallow by adding other extract, like mint.
Click here for another easy shortbread cookies recipe with marshmallows.